I certainly have made bags before, and I’m usually bad about exactly following a pattern, so this post is to document all the changes I have made to the Podium Bag, which is January’s pattern for the bag of the month club. At least so far.
First off, I hadn’t checked the printout size, but thank goodness someone in the Facebook group had mentioned a sizing issue, and I realized then that I had to reprint the pieces at 103%. I had only cut out the vinyl and pockets. Looking at the pieces, and wanting to use my 1.5″ soft and stable roll purchased in the US for the straps, I decided to make the whole purse 3/4″ wider. I like a biggish purse–by the time I put in 2 phones, reading glasses, wallet, and other paraphernalia, I need the space.
Since I am using vinyl, and linen blend for the body (Euclid by Caroline Friedlander) instead of quilting cotton, I used the light weight interfacing on the lining, slip pocket lining, phone pocket pieces, and the top half of the body. The blue print with the bicycles you see is the lining.
I used fusible fleece for the flap but skipped the interfacing here. I used lightweight interfacing for the lower handles and aforementioned soft and stable (not shown) for the main strap. There were a lot of warnings about the extra thickness of the strap, and since the vinyl is pretty heavy (it’s upholstery vinyl), I didn’t include the fleece in the section that gets folded over.
I’m going in for the main (sewing) event now, wish me luck! Linking up to Sew Fresh Quilts.