It makes me so happy that I can be creative and actually make a Hallowe’en costume for my daughter. She decided she wants to be a hippopotamus–a pink one at that. I made some doodles, she concurred, and I set to work.
To be honest here, if I could have bought one, I would have. But the doodle we agreed on was a hippo face built onto a baseball cap. Now, if I had found a pink baseball cap, that would have really helped, but I ended up having to make that too. As this was essentially a prototype, I don’t really have a proper tutorial, but I did take some pictures along the way. My materials were Kona camellia pink, interfacing (medium for the hat, two layers of heavy for the brim), soft and stable for the snout, white fabric for the teeth, velcro, purchased bias tape, and two brown buttons for the eyes.
I drafted a pattern from a purchased cap. For the snout, I basted the pink fabric to the soft and stable foam interfacing then manipulated it, stitching and trimming, until I had the shape I wanted. The nostrils I attached with needle turn applique. The snout is sewn onto the front of the brim by machine, then by hand onto the cap.