Hurray, I have met my February goal and finished up my flimsy* for Bonnie Hunter’s Grand Illusion mystery quilt. It is really busy. Extremely so. I’m not sure I like it. So I added the 3″ red border and called it good. I have some additional blocks for a pieced border, but it’s already 52″ x 66″ so will be fine for a throw size, and I’ll use the other blocks I pieced to make a matching pillow or two. I’m going to set this aside for the moment to work on some other projects. I’m musing about whether to just do a simple all over design to stitch down all the hills and dales, or attempt something to accentuate the spinning effect of the block.
After I cut out the 3-1/2″ squares (english robins on light blue) for the setting, I realized the birds were directional, so I placed them facing to the outside. That way, no matter which direction you look at the quilt, at least some of them are right side up.
Linking up with Melissa at Sew Bittersweet Designs. Do go and celebrate the finishes!
*flimsy – just the pieced top of the quilt. Flimsy because it is not supported and reinforced by batting and quilting.