I finished up another butterfly block on the weekend, so I thought I would get them all out and see where I’m at. These blocks were originally made in the Simply Solids Bee in 2013 using a pattern I designed, and I decided to hand quilt them using a quilt-as-you-go method. The backing fabrics are all wild prints from Anna Maria Horner, Valori Wells, Amy Butler, etc–prints that often don’t play well with standard patchwork. But I figure this way I’ll get a two-sided quilt. I sashed each 10″ block with another solid–so far I’ve used Kona peacock, azure, and berry–which will help square them up because some were a bit scant in the measurements. I’m sure this was my error, as in hindsight I should have just sent the patterns out to my bee-mates, rather than relying on each of them printing the pdfs.
Hey, look at that–I’ve finished eight, meaning I’m halfway done! I will have to make another couple of blocks myself to get to sixteen.
I find hand quilting very relaxing, and it’s a nice way to carry my quilting out to the backyard in the summer, may-it-be-here-soon. I’ll keep plugging away, and maybe by Christmas (I didn’t say this year however) this quilt will be finished.