Another Friday, another Grand Illusion mystery clue with Bonnie Hunter. Yikes, I have never made anything like this before. But I got out the starch and the iron, cut strips, made the little diamonds, cut out the triangles, and, what do you know, it’s the right size!
This week, I just wanted to make sure I got everything cut out. I still have 20 or so 4-patches to make from last week. The gilded rose neutral from Priory Square is looking awesome with my Christmas prints; as you can see, I added various non-Christmas fabrics in matching colours. To embrace the scrappiness, I’m trying to use at least 4 prints in every colour family in the quilt.
I’m somewhat ruthless with my scraps–if it can be cut into 2.5″ strips or squares, I do it and add to this bag. Narrower strips at least 4″ long go into a similar bag of strips. Anything smaller either goes in the garbage or into a bucket for my daughter to sew with. So far, all the pieces for the mystery can be cut from 2.5″ strips, so this is working well for me. Even if I need a smaller width piece, if I have to cut a width-of-fabric strip, I make it 2.5″, then cut off what I need and trim to width, so the rest of the strip meets my usability criteria.