This is a catch-up post for what I’ve been working on, especially for the Simply Solids Bee.
First up was May’s block, called Alberta Triangles. Some of the seams were a bit bulky, but it worked out fine in the end. I had cut one of the flying geese base squares too small, and had to redo it–which worked out well because I didn’t like the colour any more, so I changed colours. Down to the wire with this one, but not late.
June’s block (Katherine Wheel) I started right away once I received the kit. I’m hand appliquing the strips because I have more confidence in staying straight than with machine applique. However, I possibly should have thought about my thread selection before I picked fabrics, because I may have to buy matching thread for some of the strips.
Then back to April, which was my month, with a pattern I designed myself. I’ve sashed and sandwiched some of the blocks in preparation for hand quilting. I’m looking forward to getting some fresh air while stitching away. My sewing room gets really hot in the summer, so I don’t get much machine time in. Along these lines, I was interested to see a new series hosted by Clover and Violet, called A Season by Hand. I’ll be stopping by to see the hints, and linking up at the end.
Finally, the garden is going well. I actually have some flowers out–I always seem to have a challenge when the tulips finish but summer perennials are not out yet. I planted the rest of my tomatoes last weekend plus the canna lily bulbs (which I had almost forgotten about in their lonely cardboard box in the basement). I’ve also given you a shot of the developing mulberries.
Linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced and Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story.